The three local Community Response Teams for Waihi Beach North End, Island View, Bowentown and Athenree, are the volunteer groups who have the overall plan for helping the community after an emergency. They are your “on the ground” support.
Although the teams work together, in water emergencies each area will be isolated, and therefore plans are specific. Their plans have contacts for their vulnerable groups, community resources, medical services etc. The plans tell the Community Response Teams what to do.
Teams have on-going training and desktop exercises to practise their responses.
The teams have direct communications with the operations centre in Tauranga. These centres manage emergencies across the Western Bay of Plenty.
The teams manage the Community Led Centres where people go after the emergencies should they be displaced.
- Natural warnings
- Download the free Red Cross Hazard App in your App store
- Emergency Mobile Alerts
How to ensure you have Emergency Mobile Alerts turned on your mobile device:
- Launch the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on Notifications and scroll all the way to the bottom.
- Under the Emergency Alerts section, toggle the alert options on to enable them.
- Launch the Settings app on your Android device.
- Tap on Notifications.
- Tap on Advanced Settings.
- Tap on Wireless Emergency Alerts.
- Tap the Allow alerts switch to turn on.
Those without cellphones or who cannot receive an Emergency Text Alert are advised to connect with their friends and neighbours to be alerted by them.