Waihi Beach, Bowentown and Athenree Historical Society
This historical society seeks to bring together those interested in preserving significant information in a variety of ways for the wonderful Waihi Beach, Bowentown and Athenree areas.
Those who wish to join in on the fun can become a committee member or a “friend” and help out when needed.
Projects underway 2021 – 2022
- Development of archives and recording systems.
- Development of heritage trails.
- Third book: Woman Pioneers of Waihi Beach North End, Island View, Bowentown and Athenree.
- Trail and bus tours 2021.
- Heritage Event 2022.
- To collect, collate and preserve items of historical significance to the local area.
- To collect and compile a tape history or oral collections of as many as possible of the residents or former residents from the area.
- To investigate and record aspects of habitation.
- To investigate, record and sitemark places of historical interest i.e. Maori fortifications, battle sites, villages, former buildings, trees or other places left as a result of European settlement.
- To work towards obtaining or erecting a building to house the records and to display items that may be thought to be significant.
- To raise money by local activity and to seek government or other trust funds to further the objectives of the society.